As a side sleeper, you are likely to wake up feeling tired, with back pain and headaches, or even develop conditions like sciatica. The best body pillow for side sleepers is not just a matter of comfort, but it is also a consideration of its support quality.
People who sleep on their side are more prone to strains on their head, back, and shoulders unlike those who have a different sleeping style. The extra pressure is due to the great distance that exists between the head and the mattress when you sleep on your side. For this reason, additional support is needed to ensure that the spine remains aligned at all time. It is very recommendable that side sleepers use a pillow whenever they go to bed.
Let’s dive right in!
Need a comfortable pillow?
Unfortunately, many of us are not comfortable with the pillow, we use. If you gout in the market to choose a suitable pillow, then the experience can be quite confusing. It is mainly because of the intensive variety available in this category in the market.
Let us focus on the classical case where the most in-demand type is the pillow for side sleepers. If you are a side sleeper then such a pillow can provide you with a comfortable sleep with no issues with your neck, shoulder or having headaches. The price of the product varies, but that shouldn’t be taken as the main thing because comfort comes above everything.
Pillow Positions Recommended for Side Sleepers
As a side sleeper, there are strategic areas where you can place your pillow to enjoy a more restful night. Let us look at each of these
Use a pillow to support the back and stomach– Sleeping on the side can be soothing, but it is also a cause of tension due to the instability of lying on your side. For this reason, you might want to place a pillow in front of your stomach or behind your back for better support. This position helps reduce the strain posed on your muscles. Back and stomach pillows should be very firm so that they do not lose their support under the pressure of your full body.
Pillow to support hip and knees– You can also keep your hips properly aligned by placing your pillow between the knees. If the hip is not in the proper alignment, then the spine might get out of position leading to muscle and nerve pain. The knee pillow should be well stuffed to ensure comfort while remaining firm for years of use.
Types of Body Pillows for Side Sleepers
A good side sleeper pillow should have a firm yet flexible filling. The core materials that make up the best body pillow for side sleepers include.
- Memory Foam– A memory foam body pillow is good at retaining its original shape. Because it is moldable, memory foam conforms to the body contours easily, and it snaps back immediately you move without having to fluff it. Shredded foam is easier to mold and bend compared to a block of foam, and it allows for better air circulation, which allows for excellent temperature control.
- Buckwheat or water-fill – This filling is of tiny grains, and it eliminates the chances of the forming uncomfortable knots. Buckwheat, unlike the water filler, is good at releasing heat thus keeping the pillow cool at all time. The good thing about pillows filled with buckwheat is that you can adjust the amount of filling to desired levels.
- Gel-fill– Gel-fill is the best soft pillow for side sleepers. This filling comprises of memory foam microfibers that have a better conforming ability compared to shredded foam. Such pillows are hypoallergenic, easy to clean, and very supportive. However, some users might find it too soft, and they tend to form uncomfortable lumps.
The Snuggle Pillow
Snuggle is rated the best body pillow for side sleepers. It is L-shaped and designed with high-quality, firm materials that enable the pillow to maintain its shape and offer the much-needed support while sleeping. It is extra-large unlike an ordinary body pillow to support the entire body.
This total body pillow was a favorite especially because it is customizable for maximum comfort. The filling comprises of hypoallergenic shredded memory foam, which the user can either choose to spread out evenly throughout the pillow or concentrate on a particular section for more support.The pillow has a zippered pillowcase which can be easily removed and fitted during cleaning.Snuggle Pillow is perfect for side sleepers because it aligns the spine thus reducing strain and pain on the lower back.Besides, the memory foam takes up the shape of your head to support the neck when sleeping. You will love the versatility of this pillow as it can also be used as a maternity pillow to support the belly of an expectant mother. The pillow will adapt to your specific needs for the ultimate comfort and support.
- Snuggle body pillow has a zippered outer case which is machine washable for easier maintenance.
- The shredded memory foam filling allows for excellent ventilation which prevents allergic reactions and overheating.
- The memory foam filling might be too firm and thick for some users, and it takes a long time to break it in.
Best Down Pillow for Side Sleepers: The Top Choices
Down pillows are the popular choices for many people. After all, they tend to hold shape much better than other kinds of pillows. This enhances the support that is provided by the pillows to the neck and the head.
Down pillows are comfortable and light as well due to the low weight of the feathers. If you like sleeping on the side, you can choose a down pillow for the right level of support. Those looking for the best down pillow for side sleepers can choose one of the following.
The Pancake Pillow Adjustable Layer Pillow Review
The interesting thing about this pillow is that it is actually a combination of pillow layers. Up to 6 layers can be added to the pillow, adding to the height with each layer. Each layer is incredibly comfortable. Of course, the layers allow the users to adjust the height as per requirements.
- The dimensions of the pillow are 34 inches x 18 inches x 8 inches
- The weight of the pillow is 6.5 pounds
- The outer case has been made completely from cotton with a thread count of 300
- The material for the filling is down alternative microfiber
- There are six layers in each pillow, which can be removed or added as per requirements
- The pillow case features a zipper on three sides, allowing the layers to be added or removed as per the needs of the user
- You can adjust the height of the pillow easily
- The materials used are hypoallergenic and of a high quality
- The support offered by this pillow is not very good
For many people who sleep on their side, the height of the pillow is a major concern. This should be easily rectified with the Pancake Pillow. Being hypoallergenic, it is suitable for all people. The easy adjustability is another advantage. However, the main issue for most users will be the price.
There are quite a few other good pillows in the market designed for side sleeping. Coop Home Goods Premium Pillow and Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow are two good options. Both of them have a lower cost than the Pancake Pillow. While they have some nice features to offer, neither of them makes use of down or down alternatives as the filling.
The high price of the Pancake Pillow can be a deterrent for most users. Nonetheless, it will still be a good purchase.
The Cr Sleep Shredded Memory Foam Pillow Review
The use of shredded memory foam allows this pillow to provide an adequate level of support when you are sleeping. Moreover, the foam is also capable of temperature regulation enabling the pillow to remain cool throughout the night.
Sleep Better Gel Fiber Pillow
A great pillow I want to introduce you is this one.It is a King size pillow from the manufacturer. With 100 percent cotton material. The cotton cover comes with 300 thread count. The double needle corded edges bring more durability to the product. The comfort of the side sleepers is well addressed by filling it with top class denier gel fiber. The cover from cotton is machine washable and the material is hypoallergenic for the allergy-prone sleepers.
Another one is this Snuggle pillow. It is a soft and luxurious pillow for side sleepers with the material that is breathable as well. So, whether, it is hot or cold, the pillow will look after your comfort in all possible ways. The cover is a blend of bamboo, lycra and polyester which can be machine washed. It is a shredded style of memory foam pillow which for any sleeper will never go flat. The manufacturer uses only the eco-friendly components which make it a hypoallergenic product as well. Its conforming shape quality gives top support to your neck, head and shoulder. The item comes with a full refund warranty of 90 days.
Sleep Better Memory Foam Pillow
In case you need an affordable option you have to look into this one. It is the most affordable option for the side sleepers in the premium pillows range. It is a memory foam type which outlasts top comfort, particularly using the microscopic PCM beads. This material is good in absorbing heat and will give you a nice cool feel beside the excellent therapeutic support. The cover made from cotton has 300 TC along with a convenient zipper closure which you can machine wash.
Core Products Pillow
If you need a top quality pillow then its here. The excellent feedback for the pillow shows that the manufacturer has worked hard on every inch of it. The outer material is half cotton and half polyester. It will fit easily with any pillowcase of standard size. The option is found to be equally comfortable for both side and back sleepers. It will alleviate your head and neck pain with just a few days of using it. The filling is made of fortrel fiber, which is ideal which makes it a premium product, more so with its trapezoid center.
Classic Brands Memory foam
Along with a comfortable design and comfortable feel, the covering is a blend with a dominating cotton material which also means that you can easily wash it in a machine. The firmness is of medium level, which is excellent for the side sleepers. The thickness is 5 inches, which again is something excellent for the back and side sleepers. The memory foam type is good in the sense that it conforms to the shape and puts lesser to no strain on your neck and shoulders. It is hypoallergenic with Certipur-US certification and also backed with a 3 year warranty.
Choosing the Best Body Pillow for Side Sleepers
- The Brand- The brand of the pillow plays a significant difference on its make and quality. Going for a famed brand is a guarantee that you will get a high-quality, well-designed pillow. Also, getting the best pillow is a significant investment, and you want to purchase from a company that offers a good warranty and returns policy.
- Material– Different materials are used to make side sleeper pillows. These include a bead, memory foam, standard cotton fiber, and buckwheat shell inserts. The materials used determine the quality and firmness of the pillow. As a side sleeper, you want to get a pillow that is firm and will retain its shape even after years of use.
- Moldable or Formed– Some people prefer a pillow that can be twisted and tucked to fit their body contours as they sleep. Others want a pillow that will maintain its shape despite the number of times that they move during their sleep. If you love cuddling your pillow or you want support for your neck and back, then you should avoid a pillow with solid memory foam filling or one that has gusseted sides. In such a situation, the best option would be gel fiber, shredded memory foam, buckwheat or water-filled pillows.
- The user of the pillow– If you want your side sleeper body pillow only for yourself, then one type or size of the pillow will work perfectly for you. However, if you want several pillows for use by the entire family, then it would be a good idea to go for a side sleeper pillow that is adjustable like the buckwheat-filled or water-filled pillows. Also, if it is a couple’s pillow, ensure that it is not too bulky that the bed appears crowded.For pregnant women and young children, you might want to be keen- When it comes to children who sleep on the side, there is just a little space that needs to be filled up. Look for an adjustable pillow or one that is slimmer so that the child benefits fully. A pregnancy pillow for side sleeping should offer lots of support for the back and tummy. For such, you might want a firm, moldable side sleeper pillow such as shredded memory foam.