I have yet to meet a person who does not love French fries. I think it is difficult to resist that crispy exterior and a mushy interior. My mouth is watering as we speak.
Well…I write, and you read.
The point is that French fries are one of the most popular foods you will find anywhere in America. Almost all venues serve it. However, some people prefer to make their own French fries at home.
The reasons differ. Some say that that making at home is more accessible, while others prefer to cook them at home because they claim the fries are healthier. I cannot argue with that because I do not know for sure. Show me a reliable study, and I will confirm. Even so, if you want to make French fries at home, the must-have tool is a French fry cutter.
I remember how I used to cut the potatoes when I did not know about the existence of the french fry cutter. Because I started doing this when I was little, a used to slice the potatoes first, and the take every single slice and cut it into bands. It was a tedious and time-consuming process, but hey, I liked french fries, and I had to work for them.
When I grew older, and my hands as well, I sliced and cut into bands right in my hand. The process was faster, but it was just as tedious. That was until I discovered the french fry cutter. Ever since that point on, I have never made fries by hand.
Why should you buy a French fry cutter?
While there may be multiple reasons why people buy these tools. I have three primary reasons why I absolutely love this device. Feel free to add your own, but here is why I think you should invest in the best french fry cutter you can afford:
- It is easier – I explained my process above, and people who do not have a French fry cutter still use my grown-up method. It is not particularly hard, but you know exactly what really happens. The bands are not even, and the knife may slip and ruin the entire potato. I know that very well because it happened hundreds of times to me. While we are discussing blades, you can also get hurt a lot easier. One slip of the knife and the potato turns red. The point is that you will have an easy time using the fry cutter.
- It takes less time – in my case, peeling potatoes takes longer than turning them into bands. It may have something to do with the fact that I hate peeling potatoes, so if someone invents a potato peeler that runs by itself, please let me know. It is a bit confusing for me because I love almost all potato-based dishes, but I really hate peeling and cleaning them. It is a mystery.
- I love the device’s versatility – I do not know if you have ever seen a French fry cutter, but it sometimes comes with several accessories. You can cut more than potatoes with it. I use it to make carrot fingers, apple slices, cucumber fingers, and a few other things. I can use the French fry cutter on healthy foods as well.
You can add more things you love to that list, but I am sure that it will make the device so much more appealing.
Word of advice
While I love French fries very much, I eat them moderately. Nothing in this world is healthy if consumed in excess. French fries are no different. Quite the contrary, they are on the list of unhealthy foods. They have lots of carbs and a lot of sugar. As for that, did you know that exaggerate consumption of French fries has been linked to women suffering from type-2 diabetes? No matter how much you love French fries, please eat with moderation and focus on healthy food as well. A balanced diet can only keep you healthy.
How to choose the best French fry cutters?
Now that you know that you want a French fry cutter as well, you should learn how to buy one. Do not worry, is not rocket science. However, you need to pay a little bit of attention to make sure that you buy what you want. Reading some French fry cutters reviews online may help because you can see what other people about a particular product. Also, do not make a random purchase. That never ends well. With that being said, here is what you need to consider when you want the best French fry cutter.
- Commercial grade or otherwise – I am not really interested in otherwise, but you should know that there are some French fry cutters out there that look like a small grid that has crisscrossed It works. I am not saying that it does not. But I would not recommend it. Your fingers are way too near the blades. Injuries can happen. Easily. That is why my recommendation is to go for a commercial-grade French fry cutter. Your fingers are in no way in danger. It looks like some kind of press. You put the potato in its designated place in front of the pushing plate, you push/pull the lever that pushes the potato right through the blades. You will get perfect French fries every single time.
- Construction – since this is a kitchenware device, you need to be resilient and durable. While metal is preferred, there are products that are made of plastic and that work pretty well. However, what I am interested in is the durability. I like to buy something that lasts. It saves money in the long run.
- Ease of cleaning – before you buy a French fry cutter, you should check to see if it can be easily disassembled. That way you know that you will be able to clean it easily. A find it tragic to buy a product that does its job very well only to be challenging to clean. I always ask myself why a manufacturer that created such an intelligent design forgot about the fact that you actually need to clean whatever he produces. I guess you got my point.
- Mounting options – cutting potatoes for French fries is a pretty brutal job. That is why you need a stable French fry cutter. My favorite mounting mechanism is the one that involves potent suction cup legs. Once you put the device on the counter or kitchen table, you need a crane to get it off. But that way you will enjoy both stability and safety.
What are the best French fry cutters?
There are so many models out there that it will make your head spin. But you do not have to worry. As long as you use the consideration above, you should make the best decision. After all, it is a French fry cutter, not a car. However, if you need some help, below you will find three excellent products. I am sure that at least one of them will be to your liking.
New Star FoodService Commercial Grade French Fry Cutter
This model may not be the cheapest, but trust me, it is worth its $60. I bought this one, and I can guarantee that you will leave this in your will for your children. It is that durable. The rod is made of stainless steel, which means that it will not rust or corrode. Plus, it will look all shiny and new for a very long time. Also, the body is made of rust-proof powder coated heavy-duty cast iron. That thing will not break even if you try to do it on purpose.
The New Star French fry cutter cuts potatoes into 3/8-inch pieces. That way you will be able to enjoy a perfect serving of French fries. Moreover, if you decide that you like the device and you want to enjoy its full versatility, you can buy accessories separately. That will enable you to cut potatoes in smaller or thicker pieces than 3/8 inches. It is up to you. For what is worth, I did. It is very easy to use, the instructions are crystal clear, and cleaning it is a piece of cake.
As for the mounting mechanism, this is one of the products I was talking about earlier. It features 4 suction cup legs that once fixated in place you can barely get the device off the counter. If you want to mount it on the wall, you actually can. It will not budge. I use a fork to insert air into the suction cups. Use of force is pointless. Just make sure that the surface you want to mount the device on is very smooth.
Myqueen French Fry Cutter
Browsing French fry cutters online, I came across this beautiful device. The blades are made of stainless steel, which means they will not rust. The base and the handle as well. Judging by the construction, this is another legacy-worthy item. Just like the previous product, the Myqueenn French fry cutter also uses the suction cups as a mounting mechanism. While I did not personally try it, people who have bought it seem satisfied.
The machine is effortless to use. The handle is comfortable enough, and it does not slip. Just place the potato in front of the pushing plate and push down. As for many how fries will come out, it is up to you. That is because this device comes with two sturdy replaceable stainless steel blades. One has 36 holes for thicker fries, while the other has 64 holes for thinner fries.
Apart from potatoes, you can use this device to cut cucumbers, zucchini, and other vegetables that may fit. The Myqueen French fry cutter is incredibly versatile, and I am sure you will find it most useful.
Super Buy French Fry Cutter
Last but not least, the Super Buy French fry cutter may be yet another product that you may like. I have to warn you, this is a bit pricier, but if you think it deserves it, go ahead. For what is worth, I think it is an excellent product. I would pay the $70 for it. The cutter is made of stainless steel, the body of heavy duty iron, and the handle is made of aluminum alloy. The material mix makes this one of the most durable French fry cutters I have ever seen.
The handle has an ergonomic design which ensures that you can cut comfortably and safely. The very sharp blades will make sure that the vegetables you want to cut go through the blades like a hot knife through butter. As for that, you get a set of three square blades that turn your vegetables in ¼-inch, ½, and 3/8 inches. You also get a round blade that is ideal for cutting apples and making wedges.
As for the mounting mechanism, this one does not include the suction cups. It comes with sturdy legs that can be mounted on any flat surface. However, if you want, you can buy the suction cups separately and install them. It is pretty easy, and they come cheap.